Sunday, May 27, 2012

A rainy weekend...

(I'm just editing this, to explain that I wrote this Sunday, but didn't post it til Monday.)


Well, here in Saskatchewan we are having some very cool weather, with rain. We had a small break in the rain yesterday, although the sky stayed cloudy, and the temperature was down to 10 Celsius, and below freezing at night.

Today the rain is really pouring down, and it feels like a good day for staying home, reading and working on projects, while listening to CBC radio.
 
                                                                                           



Arthur and Herbert seem to be more quiet today - I wonder if the rainy weather has affected them as well. They do make good rainy day companions.

Does anyone remember the song, "Rainy Day People?"

I think cats  make good rainy day people. :)





                                                                                                                                                                  
Presently I'm reading Death Comes to Pemberley, by P.D. James. James is a wonderful mystery and detective writer, and I would recommend her Adam Dalgleish series. This book takes place within the world of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. An apparent murder has taken place with the involvement of Wickham, the husband of Lydia Bennet.

I find the story has started slow, but this may have something to do with the careful setting up of the circumstances of the death, by a very analytic narrator, and  because the narrator is following the style of Pride and Prejudice. James has seemed to take on the narrator's voice of Pride and Prejudice completely, including the slyly humourous comments on customs and human folly. I am also learning some of the history of the judicial system in England of these times. It's apparent that P.D. James has a huge knowledge of this history, as well as a deep respect for the law, as a positive force for truth.

This is an interesting, well written book, by a master story teller, however, not what I think of as a "real pageturner". I was happy to find it at the library - on the "Popular Reads" shelves.

         ********************************************************************

 I have almost completed a crochet sweater for a friend's granddaughter. It needs a button, and I plan to embroider some daisies on the front to dress it up abit. Then I plan to make the same sweater for her baby sister, as I have yarn left. The yarn is not the same which was recommended in the pattern, and the sweater is abit heavier than intended, but I think it could make a nice sweater to wear over a turtleneck in the fall.

This is the first sweater I've worked on, as I usually am afraid to try patterns other than blankets, or scarves. I found that it was quite easy, and  am now working on a cardigan for my niece. Again, I think the yarn may not be quite right (I'm using yarn I have on hand), and I think the sweater is turning out abit too large, but will see how it looks once I add the ribbing.


 Here's a video of the song, "Rainy Day People", sung by Canadian songwriter, and musician Gordon Lightfoot. I think it's a good song for me today, with it's cheerful tune. As I listen to the lyrics, I recognize the friends I've met through blogging as some of the best kind of Rainy Day people I know! I hope you might enjoy listening to this.




6 comments:

Geraldine said...

The sweater is adorable! You did a great job Brenda, I think it will be even nicer with the added daisies. So well done.

LOVE that song, Love Gordie, what a national treasure he is. If memory serves, you and I went to see him together in high school? I've seen him in concert 4 times, once at his beloved Massey Hall, in Toronto.

Thanks for sharing this video and the wonderful photos too.

Hugs to you and the kitties!

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Thanks Ger, I appreciate the comment, as this is the first sweater I've done.
I spent the greater part of Sunday evening listening to Lightfoot's music through You Tube.
He truly is a treasure.
I'm happy that you had the opportunity to hear him in concert several times...what good memories.
We in Canada may not always value our amazing talented people as we should. From what I was reading, Gordon is loved worldwide, especially for his amazing song writing talent.
Hugs,
Brenda
P.S. I don't recall seeing him, I wonder if you went with another person?
But it would have been awesome!

Geraldine said...

PS: I really thought I went with you to a concert of Gordie's but it must have been another school pal. I know it was a good show, all of them were!

The sweater looks great. DO share more finished projects when you can. Love seeing them.

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Ger,
Thanks again! :)
B

Mr. Cheddar said...

Herbert and Arthur, So glad you are in the running for the catty prizes over at Meowmie's review blog. Of course I did most of the work on that post but I let Meowmie think she is the brains in this operation snort....must keep those humans happy, especially at din-din time. Speaking of din-din, had a most delish entree last night of canned oceanfish, an epicurean delight, smack...

Meowmie of all things, is eating blackberries and homemade ice cream for breakfast! These humans are very strange at times. She seems to be enjoying it. They just got a new ice cream maker here, another freebie (how does she do it!!!) and it's already being used. Pray tell, does Ms. B, like ice cream? The humans here eat almost anything that isn't moving snort...the moving stuff, that's my turf.

Laters, The Ched, Feline Friend in the West. :<)

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Hey, there Ched, So nice to see your face!!
(B says to remember to say "your adorable face".)

Hmm... ice cream for breakfast, what will the humans do next, indeed!?

Good to hear you had such a yummy dinner last night, we like getting canned food now and then too!

Headbonks to you our friend!
Herb and Art