Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chestnut Trees

 There are several chestnut trees, on the university campus where I work. I think our city may have chosen chestnuts and oaks as  alternative trees to plant in place of the wonderful elms we traditionally have used to line our streets, and grace our parks.We are a city known for the beauty of our parks, and especially the green spaces we have created. This is a city on the prairies, and there were no trees here to speak of before our original city planners designed a man made lake and extensive surrounding park.

5 comments:

Teri said...

This is interesting to me Brenda, because all the Chestnut trees around here have died out. DH tells me he had one for years and then got the disease and died. I'm happy to hear they are thriving in your town.

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Teri,
thanks for dropping by. I think I remember hearing about this happening in some parts of North America, and finding it interesting because we are planting more of these, and they are flourishing. But I believe we don't plant certain elms now, due to Dutch Elm beetle.

Sorry to hear they've died out there, they are pretty.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

When I think of an oak tree, I think of strength. To me that would be a good choice for an area with lots of wind. I don't know much about chestnuts. Where I grew up, we had pecan and hictory trees growing wild.

The Boston Lady said...

I haven't seen chestnut trees in a long time! I remember all the nuts on the ground and asking my dad to please roast them! He didn't know how, but we always got some from the street vendors in the winter in downtown Toronto. Lovely trees! Ann

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Ann,
Thanks for checking in here.
Roasted chestnusts are wonderful!
What a nice memory!
Brenda