Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A storm, and some amazing clouds

Our weather has been very hot and humid for the past three days. The temperature has been up to 30 Celsius, (86 F)  but with alot of humidity making it feel much hotter.

This evening our city was under a tornado watch, as well as severe thunderstorm warnings. We have now had a short severe thunder storm, and our tornado watch has been lifted. We opened the windows to allow the cool fresh air in, and noticed that our sky had amazing clouds - shaped like balls or globes.

I headed outside with my camera to take a few pictures. Several neighbours were outside enjoying the sight as well. I felt I had never seen clouds like these before, but one older neighbour told me thay are quite common - perhaps I just haven't noticed them so dramatically before.


Paul was finding many of his friends on Facebook had posted pictures right away, and one friend had already found the name of these clouds - Mammatus - they  most often form on the bottom of an anvil cloud, and are associated with severe thunderstorms.

While outside taking photos, I wondered out loud about what kind of formation these might be, and one of my neighbours said - "Casper" - and yes that seems like a good name for them.

We are fortunate that our temperatures are forecast to be cooler in the next few days, around 23 to 25 Celsius. I prefer it cooler as we don't have airconditioning, and live on the top floor of our building, so it can get very hot, and close. I worry about Herbert and Arthur in the apartment when we are gone all day. But I leave fans on, and they seem to drink water and stay well. As well they find cool places to be, such as the bathtub.








5 comments:

Teri said...

Those are SO amazing!! Like dollops of cream. Never saw anything like them. Good capture Brenda.

Hugs

Anonymous said...

I don't think they are that common! Aren't the something? I have never seen them in real life, and I grew up in tornado alley.

Glad you didn't have a tornado!

The Boston Lady said...

I have never seen clouds like that! So beautiful, yet haunting with their potential. The cats are smart and know how to cool off. Hope your temps drop and NO tornadoes! Those things scare me very much! Beautiful pictures Brenda. Ann

kj said...

I have never seen clouds like that either, Brenda! Magical cotton balls! It rabbit tails!

How is your new job? I hope you love it

Xoxo
kj

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone!
I really appreciate that you visit me and take the time to make interesting, and kind comments!

I value each comment, and each person a great deal! :)

Well, really I also thought these were pretty rare clouds! :)

Thanks, kj, the new job IS coming along very well!
Thanks so much for asking. :)

Thanks to each of you for the visit!
Hugs,
Brenda