Monday, September 4, 2017

Three Poems - Thought I'd share, first post in many months....

 Poem1

 I could go away and watch Crows
Crows - here from the beginning
First over the ocean - small song birds following in their path


The early people guided by Crows and Ravens
Crows scavenging bones left from the hunt
Symbiosis
Gift

Crows now fly over towers and freeways
Scavenge city people's trash

Called dirty scavengers
City people not knowing crows are doing what they know
Clean away the scraps
Gift
Symbiosis

I could go away and watch Crows
Purity
Freedom

Do crows know what the people have done
 

Downtown Calgary

If you live in downtown Calgary
and you go walking
You may see...
Black squirrels scampering
 Many magpies
You may see litter, discarded clothing,
cigarette butts, someone collecting butts,
bird seed scattered along the railway tracks for the pigeons.
You may see and hear a woman, 
possibly middle aged, 
walking  
and 
talking 
burst into singing.
People walking dogs of all sizes and kinds. 
A dog walking with her tail between her legs, eyes downcast, you will wish with all your heart that you could go and  say,
"How much will you let me pay to have this dog? I will take her." 
In downtown Calgary, you will see many buildings -
old, crumbling; 
old, well maintained;
brick; concrete; steel and glass. 
High rise; low rise.
Business; 
Residential.
A school, and playground.
 In the distance you will see the Calgary Tower.
In downtown Calgary, you will not see green hillside, or blue mountains in the distance, though.

 If I were Homeless


If I were homeless, at night,
I would take the c-train to a safe neighbourhood,
Where families eat around the table
Where children are tucked into bed;
Where houselights are off by eleven.

There I would find a park with pine trees to sleep under.
I would hear the songbirds settle.
I would rest safe, and wake early before the early morning joggers...

If I were a homeless person, I may not have money for the c-train,
I would ask strangers for spare change
Maybe my clothes would be dirty, or I would begin to smell
Strangers might rush by.

I  might stop going to my safe place.
Try to sleep in a downtown park...
I would hear 
sirens
traffic
swearing
someone urinating
 bottles breaking
I would not sleep.

If I were homeless, and slept in a downtown park,
I might dream of families around the table; children tucked into bed; lights off by eleven; a pine tree; song birds settling...

...or I might forget this - maybe just a story someone told me once.

If I was homeless, maybe people would stop seeing me, and I would become invisible...just a story someone told.



12 comments:

The Boston Lady said...

Really nice Brenda. I like the one about being homeless as I can imagine that being an inner dialogue in such a person's head. Ann

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Thanks, Ann.
Lovely to receive a comment from you.
Are you doing any writing at Boston Lady? I didn't look. This is my first post in a long time. I actually needed to pay to keep my blog.
I appreciate your comment. It means a lot to me. Hugs.

Unknown said...

Hope you keep up with the compositions they're great.

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Thank you, my friend. :)

Geraldine said...

The one about downtown Calgary is my favorite Brenda, well done. You really can feel the street vibe. Love the part about taking the train to a safer neighborhood.

Nice to see a post here.😊 Hope you have a lovely Autumn. Has the snow disappeared?

I have a new writing site now too, link in my Blogger profile.

Hugs....🐝🌞🌼

balidogen said...

Mantap gan
best massage in bali

Geraldine said...

Happy Birthday Brenda.πŸ˜‚

I hope you have a lovely Easter weekend and a good week too. 🌼

How time flies eh? That's really hitting home for me lately...🐀🌷🐝Here's to a very good year!

Geraldine said...

PS, Disregard my email if that information was not actually posted online, I thought it was. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

I believe it was private, Ger. checked .
Hugs!!

Geraldine said...

I have new blog addresses now Brenda, changed back to blogspot.com for both my blogger sites. Just too many hassles with the custom domains.

Hope all is well and that your new job is going great.πŸ˜‚

Geraldine said...

Just stopping by to wish you a wonderful New Year Brenda.😊

We will be " on the move" in the spring, not too far this time and hopefully a good decision.

I hope you post here again at some time soon. It's nice to keep up to date. I just posted a Cheddar photo at my blog and New Year's greeting.

TAKE CARE and all the best!

Alicia bowen said...

Win Ex lover back in 48 hours_______________



Email....R.buckler11 [[ gmail....com ]]



United States...